Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tools...and others!


My Olympus is a handy little piece of machinery, not perfect but adequate. But there are objects it just will not photograph well, as if it was sending me some coded message about them. Take this example: I have made a pair of earrings using oxidized silver earwires and lampwork beads. Sounds pretty standard so far, doesn't it? Well, the lampwork is very delicate and the glass is entirely transparent, in a light green hue. I am trying to give the colour a name but it escapes me. Like a seriously watered down mint julep???? For some reason, I think having to do with the transparency of the glass, the lens will not focus properly and while the background is sharp, the foreground, the little rounds themselves, register entirely blurry. To complicate matters for the camera I think, the beads have little, bumpy extrusions on them and this may also confuse the lens. I will keep trying. If I cannot take good shots, then I guess the earrings will live in my own jewelry box forever. The beads themselves came from a supplier in California and I bought them some time ago. They are very fairy-like and dainty and I thought they would be perfect for what was once rumoured to be the season following this one - Spring!



Here is an attempt at capturing the earrings - not at all Etsy-worthy....


Speaking of Spring...it looks like some of my orchids will bloom this season after a period of rest having to do with the move, I think. I am going to dig for some photos from previous years and post a couple.....


Happy Sunday...

No comments:

Post a Comment